Sunday, April 28, 2013

Manuscript Found in Accra by Paulo Coelho



With a gust of wind from a Saturday afternoon,
I entered the library and saw this book on the shelf.
 
I'm grateful.
 
After reading the last chapter first,
I finished the book from end to beginning.
I highly recommend Manuscript Found in Accra.
 
***
 
Only he gives up is defeated. Everyone else is victorious.
 
***
 
"And what about enemies?"
 
Therefore, your enemies are not the adversaries who were put there to test your courage.
They are the cowards who were put there to test your weakness.
 
The enemy is not the person standing before you, sword in hand.
It is the person standing next to you with a dagger concealed
behind his back.
 
Beware of anyone who tries to please you all of the time.
 
We will all have to face many adversaries in our lives,
but the most difficult to defeat will be the ones we fear.
 
Never repay hatred with hatred, but with justice.
 
The world does not divide into enemies and friends,
but into the weak and the strong.
 
***
 
"Speak to us of the weapons we must use when all is lost."
 
Where there is loyalty, weapons are of no use.
Loyalty has its roots in respect, and respect is the fruit of Love.
 
The most destructive of weapons is not the spear or the siege cannon,
which can wound a body and demolish a wall.
The most terrible of all weapons is the word,
which can ruin a life without leaving a trace of blood,
and whose wounds never heal.
(I apologize to those I've wounded)
 
***
 
"Why are some people luckier than others?"
 
Success comes to those who do not waste time comparing
what they are doing with what others are doing;
it enters the house of a person who says,
"I will do my best" every day.
 
To he who knocks, the door will open.
He who asks will receive.
He who consoles knows that he will be consoled.
 
A man might say: "I will use my money to sow, plant, harvest,
and fill my granary with grain so that I will lack for nothing."
But when the Unwanted Visitor (Death) arrives,
all the man's efforts will have been in vain.
 
******************
The mountains change and are pleased:
"It's good not to be the same all the time,"
they say to one another.
 
*******************************
 
Love, Liz ^_^